Saturday, August 16, 2008

Reminiscent

I received an email yesterday. Normally, I would delete a forward without reading it, but this one caught my attention and I read it. In it was a simple, yet profound lesson: do not spend a great deal of time wondering about people from your past and pondering what might have been. There is a reason those people didn't make it to your present.

Now, I have been fortunate enough to have loved and been loved very deeply in my lifetime. I think my first real love was a guy I dated while living in California. His name was David. He taught me how I was supposed to be treated by a man and set the bar for any coming after him very high. I am eternally grateful to him for that because it kept me from having to kiss a lot of extra frogs in search of my prince charming! I have thought of David over the years and wondered how his life turned out. I'm sure it's a good one because he was a good guy, but I don't dwell on it because I recognize that people come into our lives but for a season. Once the intended lesson is learned, we move on to the next life's lesson.

Fast forward to today. In a couple of weeks, my husband, Gregory, and I will celebrate our 10 year anniversary! I'll be honest and tell you that I was not so sure about years 2-3! But GOD said differently and here we are. I cannot imagine being anywhere else. You see, our love has moved away from the eros kind of love, although the physical is important and has a place. We also have the phileo, or good friend kind of love, because we genuinely like each other (most days!) Above that, though, we daily find a renewed sense of agape love that is unconditional, tried, true, and in spite of, rather than because of.

Baby-- Thanks for loving me "in spite of" so many things...

2 comments:

CreoleInDC said...

This was loverly. :) HEY UNDREA!

Anonymous said...

This post is so special. This is exactly what I am looking for in my marriage (when it happens). I heard this message probably 20 or more years ago while visiting an Agape Church and never forgot it.