Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Ten years ago today, my husband, Gregory, and I vowed to share our lives together. I can honestly say that I love him more now than I did ten years ago. We have grown together in so many ways. It's funny to think that we almost never were even a couple!

Greg is nine years older than I am, so, although he liked me, he was afraid that I might be too young for him. We flirted back and forth and I always thought he would ask me out, but he never did! So, I decided to take the bull by the horns, so to speak, and made the first move. I made small talk with him like we'd done so many times before. After a while, I finally got up the nerve to make my move.

Me: You know, I always got the impression that you were going to ask me out, but you never did.
Greg: I guess I missed my chance, huh?
Me (with a sly, flirtatious smile): You have not because you ask not.

I walked away at that point, making sure to add a little extra umph to my stride (and so he could catch a glimpse of the bootay!) He asked me out later that day, and we've been together ever since!

I still laugh to myself when I think of how far we've come in our ten years of marriage. Our life together has truly been a journey. We've gotten one child out of school, another in his junior year, both as honor students. We have beautiful twin girls who light up our lives, and we have a marriage that is solid. God has been good to us, even through the toughest of storms-- and we've weathered our share of those as well.

Whenever I think about my love, I think about his eyes. They truly tell the story-- our story. Each time I look into his eyes, I remember. Days... events... moments frozen in time. I remember the worry throughout my numerous illnesses, procedures, and surgeries-- no one has ever been so concerned about me. I remember the very moment he looked at our premature daughters, barely six pounds in total. The look of fear was there from being responsible for two brand-new lives, so tiny and helpless; but the look of pride was also present when he immediately recognized fighters when he saw them. Then, I saw hope in knowing that they would one day make indelible marks upon the world while all the while trusting us to be their very first teachers, their loudest cheerleaders, and as my friend Janice said today, their soft place to land. I remember the look of pride whenever he talks about the kids or me. I remember the look in his eyes when we rededicated our lives to each other in a ceremony held just for the two of us. The love I saw there was so deep, so strong and so unyielding. Over the years, I've seen so many things in the depths of his eyes, and I am so honored to have been blessed to share time and space with a man who loves me and our family in the deepest, strongest, purest love possible.

Happy Anniversary, Gregory. You truly are the love of my life.

3 comments:

CreoleInDC said...

Dang we old. ROFL! HAPPY BELATED BEAUTIFUL ONE! MY LOVE TO GREG!

TDJ said...

Congrats on your anniversary! I got chills hearing you describe your love for him. :)

ThinkingPrincess said...

@ Creole - Thanks, Monnie!

@tdj - Thanks for stopping by my spot, and thanks for the well wishes. Marriage is a beautiful thing!