Tuesday, April 7, 2009

We've Got a Good Kid on Our Hands!

You know how people seem to say just what you need to hear at the exact moment you need to hear it?

Well, that happened to me today. I have been very down about this school year. It has been a pretty trying year, and I am pretty much ready to get it over with so I can go back to the drawing board and start over with another crop of kids.

Yeah, I know it's unusual to hear me talk in such a manner. I know. **sigh**

When I dropped off the girls at the daycare provider's house this morning, she told me to remind her to tell me what one of the coaches had to say about my son. See, one of the coaches at my son's school is her next door neighbor. When we first moved to our current house and told her our son would be transferring, she informed us that one of the coaches lived next door and she would be happy to introduce Ryan to him. Well, as school got closer to starting, she took Ryan and me over to the house-- of course it was when they were having a cookout and ALL of the coaches and their families were there. So, Ryan got the chance to meet everyone in one fell swoop.

Fast forward to today.

She said he went on and on about Ryan and how the coach basically called him the total package-- athletic ability, academic ability, and just and all-around good kid. The coach told her just how rare it was to have an athlete that had all three strong qualities. He also told her that all of Ryan's teachers LOVE him because he is such a great student who works just as hard in class as he does on the field. She said he ended up the conversation talking about the many options Ryan will have for his college education - from big named programs to ivy league colleges.

That made my mother's-heart so proud!

I know that I did not birth Ryan from my womb, but God knows that kid was truly birthed in my heart. I also know that I am not a perfect parent, but hopefully I'm just perfect enough to get him the rest of the way.

I am so proud of my Ryan and of the mark he seems to be making on the world around him. I cannot wait to see just what else God has planned for him.

For right now, though, I am one proud mama.

No comments: