Friday, June 14, 2013

Shakin' things up...

There is a popular quote that says, "If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got." After reflecting on these words awhile, I have to say that Henry Ford was right. I think about my life and about my hopes and dreams. There are many things that I desire, but I have yet to attain them. I do realize that I probably have not attained those things because I live my life predictably. Safe. Protected. All neatly packaged and wrapped with a bow, hidden behind the walls of this fortress I have erected around myself. It's difficult to make a significant impact on the world while in hiding. (Well, it depends on where one hides, I suppose.)

I dream of impacting the youth of this world in far greater numbers than my career currently allows. This passion I have cannot be truly realized, however, until I make the decision to step out of my comfort zone and be all that I know God has called me to be. It takes courage to step into one's destiny. The crazy thing is that I have never been one who has been easily frightened. So why, then, do I most fear the things that are at the very core of my being? What exactly do I fear? Is it failure... or success? Is it rejection, or is acceptance more frightening? You see, with acceptance, one has to open oneself up to receive those who receive you. That means allowing others within the walls of the fortress. It means knocking down walls. It means being vulnerable and having to trust that others will respect that sacred space at the core of all that I am. Trust. Belief. Interdependence.

After all, no man is an island.

So with a deep sigh, I am purposing within my heart to do things differently. I am opening up and stepping out on the knowledge that God will order my steps. The future requires it, and my destiny insists upon it. Pray for me, because change is never easy.

To be continued...

No comments: